The 2017 Bob Childers’ Gypsy Cafe in Stillwater last week was the largest yet in the music festivals’ six year history. Here are some highlights:
- Jimmy LaFave accepted the inaugural Restless Spirit Award by saying, “Bob Dylan can keep his Nobel prize. I got the Red Dirt award.”
- $19,700 was raised for Oklahoma musicians in crisis through the Red Dirt Relief Fund.
- 37 pairs of free custom ear plugs were fitted for musicians playing the fest through a partnership with MusiCares.
- It stopped raining just in time to build the main stage, and skies stayed dry long enough to gather around the fire at the Farm.
- 900 fans and musicians attended–the most in festival history.
- More than 70 songwriters played 22 sets across 3 venues in one night.
- Festival partners provided sponsorship funding, silent auction items and even stage flowers to make this Okie festival a success.
Thanks to all the fans, volunteers, musicians and venues for making this a truly memorable night. What do you say we do it again next year?